Linkwood 25 Year old Gordon & Macphail
Linkwood 25 Year old Gordon & Macphail NOTE: Markings on external packaging
About the distillery
Linkwood Distillery, region Speyside, located in Elgin, Was founded in 1821 by Peter Brown, Production at the distillery started in 1825. In 1868 Peter passed away leaving Linkwood Distillery in the hands of his son William who rebuilt and expanded the distillery in 1872. The Browns family formed the Linkwood-Glenlivet company with the distillery remaining in the family until 1897 when William Brown died. Operation of the distillery was passed to the managing director Robert Innes who continued at the distillery until his death in 1932 and the Linkwood-Glenlivet company was purchased by Scottish Malt Distillers who were a subsidiary company to DCL. The distillery closed its doors between 1941 & 1945 during the Second World War. In 1945 re-opened with Roderick Mackenzie Managing the distillery. The Distillery was re-built again and modernised in 1962. In 1971 a new distillery constructed named Linkwood B which lay alongside the current Linkwood distillery where the intention was for Linkwood B to take over the operation of the original Linkwood Distillery. Everything was duplicated from the dents that were in the original stills to the cob webs that lay in the distillery, however with significant demand for Linkwood whisky, this lead to both Linkwood Distilleries remaining in production until 1985 when the original Linkwood was used for experimentation purposes and Linkwood B took over the production operations now running under the name Linkwood. In the Original Linkwood distillery was demolished to allow for the New Linkwood distillery to expand. 1986 DCL were acquired by Guinness forming United Distillers. In 1997 United Distillers merged with Grand Metropolitan forming Diageo.
- Distillery Linkwood